Minutes of QUARTERLY MEETING held at the Civic Halls Connah’s Quay on FRIDAY 15thJuly2011
COUNCILLOR MR BRIAN BERTOLA(Presiding)
EATTENDANCE AND APOLOGIES LIST WAS AS FOLLOWS:
|Officers||Brian Bertola (Chair)|
Joan Butterfield (Vice Chair)
Alan Guinn (President)
Ken Iball (Vice President)
Robert Robinson (Secretary & Treasurer) ABERGELE TOWN COUNCILRichard G Waters
Brian C RobertsMandy Evans (Clerk)
J A MacLennanARGOED COMMUNITY COUNCILMaureen Jones
Kathryn Evans-Lee BANGOR CITY COUNCILD Bulled
D Hainge BAY OF COLWYN TOWN COUNCIL Margaret Edwards
Tina Earley Town ClerkBUCKLEY TOWN COUNCILJohn Woolley
John ConnahR B Jones
N DitchburnCAERWYS COMMUNITY COUNCILJonothan Webb CONNAH’S QUAY TOWN COUNCILPam Attridge
R V Hill
Ian Jones (Town Clerk)Brian Bone
CONWY TOWN COUNCILHelen Roberts
Christine GilligaraHelen Armitage (Town Clerk)DENBIGH TOWN COUNCILRaymond Bartley
Peter Glynn FLINT TOWN COUNCILTerry Renshaw
David CoxLorna Jones
Nick JonesHAWARDEN COMMUNITY COUNCIL HOLYWELL TOWN COUNCILBarry Scragg
R M SpainColin Pierce (clerk)
LLANDUDNO TOWN COUNCILA Yates
A M Jones
LLANASA TOWN COUNCIL LLANFAIRFECHAN TOWN COUNCILCarol Edwards
E Shepherd (Town Clerk)
Christine RobertsLLANGOLLEN TOWN COUNCIL Major Mike AdamsMEINAI BRIDGE TOWN COUNCILJacqueline Jones
Linda Fraser Williams (Town Clerk) Hilary HuntNEWTOWN TOWN COUNCILSteve Gearey (Town Clerk)V Howard
P WatkinsPENMAENMAWR TOWN COUNCILFiona McDonald
M Mooney PRESTATYN TOWN COUNCILAlan Pennington RHOSLLANNERCHRUGOG COMMUNITY COUNCIL Wendy Owens
Trina Nicholls-SmithRHUDDLAN TOWN COUNCIL G H Williams
J T JonesRHYL TOWN COUNCILG Nickets J Chaimberlain Jones
RUTHIN TOWN COUNCILKen Hawkins
Betty DownsD William (Town Clerk)
SHOTTON TOWN COUNCIL ST ASAPH TOWN COUNCILElsie Powell
Barbara RustJ VaughnTOWYN AND KINMELL BAY TOWN COUNCILD Cowans (Town Clerk)
Mrs Mariette Roberts WELSHPOOL TOWN COUNCILAnn Holloway
Val Graul (PA to Town Clerk)Stephen Kaye
1434 THE NOTICE OF THE MEETING & MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The notice of the meeting was accepted.
The minutes were accepted as a correct record.
1435 ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
The secretary reported on the actions requested to be carried out by this meeting and confirmed that all actions had been completed.
1436 ONE VOICE WALES MEETING
The Chair gave a short report on the meeting with One Voice Wales. After some extensive discussion the following was ADOPTED as
Association Policy on this matter;
- The proposal is drawn up taking into account protocol no 8 of the original documents discussed when One Voice Wales was put in place.
- The Association feels that it is best placed to represent the views of the Town and Larger Community Councils in Mid and North Wales.
- The Association is to remain a separate independent organisation and not part of One Voice Wales.
- The Association seeks formal Recognition of the Association at Parliament, Welsh Assembly and County Council levels of government.
- The Association to be part of the ‘partnership meetings’ held with the Welsh Assembly.
- The Association will include within it’s over policy document such policies on training and the Welsh Language.
7. Agenda and minutes of meetings are to be circulated to all AM, PM and County Council Chief Executive Officers.
8. The Association shall send a representative to the One Voice Wales Organisation and a representative shall be invited to attend the regular meetings of the Association.
1437 CONSULTATION WITH COUNTY COUNCILS
The Association has discussed on a number of occasions the relationship between County Councils and the Town or Community Councils.
There are varying levels of co-operation. Approx 18 months ago the Association had a presentation by Gloucestershire County Council on
Working Charters. Since that time Charters have been progressed in many areas.
The Association AGREED that a letter is sent to the following urging the introduction of charters between County Councils and Town/Community
Councils within a prescribed timetable in line with the Local Government (Wales) Measure recently enacted:
Welsh Assembly Members
All County Councils in the Association area
The Association also AGREED that a speaker on the subject should be invited to the next meeting.
1438 DEVOLUTION OF SERVICES TO TOWN AND COMMUNITY COUNCILS
The Association has discussed the devolution of services on a number of occasions.
The general feeling has been that taking on services is all very well but unless funding is allocated to it there is often double taxation.
The subject of funding of services was discussed at the WAG Committee and it is clear that the Welsh Assembly agrees
with the principle of devolved services being funded properly and not by just passing the cost down to the communities.
The Association AGREED to write to the following seeking a proper measure to ensure that such funding is allocated to
Town and Community Councils where services are devolved:
Welsh Assembly Members
All County Councils in the Association area
The point to be made that funding needs to be long term and not short term and then withdrawn leaving the Town and Community
Councils to pick up the problem later.
1439 WIND FARMS, PYLONS, HUBS AND TRANSPORT – TAN 8
A full report was issued to members prior to the meeting. A copy of the Welshpool Town Council Survey completed door to door
is attached. (click here for details)
The Association discussed the TAN8 proposals and their effects on Mid and North Wales.
The following was an AGREED action plan to be carried out by the Association:
a) To present a petition to Parliament seeking a review of the pylon lines proposed by the National Grid to support TAN8.
b) To present a petition to all the AM’s in the area of the Association seeking their support for a review of the TAN8
proposals with particular regard to the effects (Pylons, electricity hubs and transport) on the basis that since their last
discussion on the subject the Welshpool door to door survey has been completed.
c) To send a letter to all the MP’s in the Associations area seeking their support to the objections made by
Glyn Davies MP (Montgomeryshire) with regard to the effects of TAN8 on Mid and North Wales.
d) To send a letter to Powys County Council supporting their request to the Welsh Assembly seeking a review of TAN8.
e) To issue a press statement confirming the Associations objection to the effects of TAN8.
1440 LOCAL GOVERNMENT (WALES) MEASURE
The secretary issued a short paper (as per attached) outlining the details of the measure as it affects Town and
Community Councils. The secretary pointed out in particular the Quality Councils proposals and how Town Clerks
can gain the CILCA qualification (see SLCC site).
1441 CONSULTATION – PRE PLANNING ADVICE
A paper was issued outlining the pre planning consultation as issued by the WAG. Full details are on the WAG web site.
Members are asked to pass their responses to the secretary by 7th September 2011 so that a response can be prepared.
1442 WALES TRANSPORT COMMITTEE
The Association was asked to nominate two persons to serve on the Wales Transport Committee.
The Association APPOINTED two members: B Bertola and A Guinn.
If possible the secretary is to seek a place for Mid Wales with appointee Ann Holloway.
1443 HOUSING ASSOCIATION – ALLOCATION OF HOUSING
Rhuddlan Town Council asked if a letter could be sent to the WAG seeking a place for Town and Community Councils
on the Boards of Housing Associations when they consider letting of properties.
The Association AGREED to send a letter supporting this initiative.
1444 WEB SITE and PUBLICITY
The Association has its own domain name for its Web Site.
The web site address is WWW.northwalesassociation.org.uk
1445 ANY OTHER BUSINESS
There was no other business so the chair closed the meeting.
1446 DATE OF NEXT MEETING (AGM AND QUARTERLY MEETING)
To be held at Llandudno at 10.30am on Friday 21st October 2011
1447 ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN FOR NEXT MEETING
The following actions are to be taken for the next meeting:
1. A press release to be issued to the media.
2. The area AM’s and PM’s to be kept fully informed of the Associations activities.
3. One Voice Wales to be informed of the policy adopted in 1436 above.
4. Complete actions as noted in 1436 above.
5. Letter to be sent on charters to county councils
6. A speaker on the Charter subject to be invited as a speaker at the next meeting.
7. Letter to be sent on devolution of services to the WAG.
8. To complete all actions on the Wind Farms, Pylons, Hubs and Transport as per minute 1439.
9. To co-ordinate the responses on the pre planning advice.
10. To confirm to the Transport Committee our nominations and to see if a Mid Wales position is available.
11. To write to the WAG seeking places for community councils on Housing Association Boards with regards to lettings.
Those shown in green have been implemented and in blue are in the process of being implemented.